WHAT IS SQUARESPACE?
Squarespace is a website management system which is composed of a website builder, blogging platform and hosting service.
Because it’s template driven, it comes with a variety of pre-designed templates but also offers the capacity to create your own variations to suit if you have the technical know-how. That means you have the option to build your own template from scratch and/or add third party plug-ins and apps.
We love Squarespace because it’s versatile, aesthetically pleasing (for both the user’s experience and the developer), and is generally sensible all-round! These are great qualities to have!
WHAT DOES SQUARESPACE OFFER TO YOU?
Here are some of the best things squarespace offers straight out of the box:
- You can set up an ecommerce store
- Calendar of events for all your upcoming occasions
- Create and publish Blogs
- Create neat image and video galleries
- Create a single landing page using the cover page builder
- You can re-point a domain or get a new domain name through squarespace
- Squarespace helps you with search engine optimization through a number of its automated processes
- You can create forms on the fly with drag and dro
- You can easily integrate mailchimp (for newsletters)
- No storage or bandwidth limit
- You can create secure pages which require a password to access
- Squarespace is automatically device responsive so you don’t have to recreate your site
- You can transfer content over from other platforms such as wordpress and tumblr
EDITING YOUR SQUARESPACE SITE QUICK OVERVIEW
When editing or updating your Squarespace site, there are three areas you will use the most:
- Style Editor
Changing content on your site can be done through the pages section. This section allows you to add pages, galleries, images, videos and any other content onto your website.
You can create linked and unlinked pages or files in here too for later use.
Style editor is where you house your brand guide and store your library of:
- fonts sizes
- body text font sizes
- background colors
- navigation style
- link color
Basically, everything you need to adjust the look and feel of your site. You cannot make content updates or layout changes in this view.
In settings you can update the basic information about your business and connect your other accounts such as Facebook, Google and YouTube, and your email addresses – giving you seamless integration across all your platforms.
Populating content into squarespace is a joy because it is so easy!
Squarespace uses a grid system. This means each content piece on a page is in a block and is part of the grid. The blocks can be moved around to the correct position, and content added at any stage.
The interface is intuitive and easy to use. All it takes is just a click and move of the mouse over the horizontal tear drops/speech bubbles at the edge of the text box and you are able to drop in images, video or text.
These blocks of content can be moved around and rearranged in any order, at any time!
QUICK TIPS AND TRICKS YOU MIGHT NOT KNOW
- It’s important to link your social accounts to Squarespace such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram etc. This will automatically add social icons to your template for those platforms to follow you
- Avoid editing your site in multiple tabs! Have just one tab open at a time as you are making edits – this will help you keep clarity over what you’re doing, where
- When you have a slide show gallery, try to make the images all the same size to be more aesthetically pleasing
- Squarespace has an inbuilt image editor you can use as you go to crop, adjust lighting and fix blemishes
- Avoid creating galleries directly on a page. Always create the gallery as an individual page then drop a gallery module and then select the option to “use existing gallery”
- You can embed items on any page or use custom html using the code block
Squarespace always has new features and exciting updates coming through, so if you want something that’s easy to edit and displays content beautifully, then Squarespace might be the platform for you!